Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pilgrimage to the Holy Land - day 6

27 December - Feast of St. John

Capernuam - 
Mass, which I offered for Archbishop Vlazny.  I got to be principle celebrant today in the place of Faith.  I took the host into my hands "This is my body..." and it struck me there that this is the place where Jesus said "My flesh is true food" and many walked away and stopped following Him (John 6).  And here You are in my hands.  My heart smitten by Your presence.  Convince us of your Love for us; don't let our hearts be hard to receive it.  Jesus, I trust in You.  A synthesis of my homily below:

Being in the Holy Land has taught each of us that the place speaks.  So what is the "theology" of this place?  To find out, we'll take a look at this place from a hometown boy's perspective:  Matthew's take.

1 - Matthew 4 (Mark 2) - he sees healings, here in this place Jesus forgives a man his sins, and a paralytic walks.
2 - Matthew 5-7 - he hears Jesus' teaching on the mount, His instructions to those who follow Jesus and hears how their lives must be different.
3 - Matthew 8 - the centurions faith.  Matthew sees a gentile make Jesus marvel, perhaps he thought, "there is hope for me too".
4 - Matthew 9 - Then Jesus calls him; he gets up and follows Him, no questions asked, he's ready
5 - Matthew 11:23-24 - as a disciple he hears Jesus talk about his hometown:  "Capernaum, will you be lifted up to heaven?  No, you will be cast down to the netherworld".  Judgment is real, even for those who have experienced the Lord's work in their lives.
6 - Matthew 14 (John 6) - He sees Jesus feed 5,000 and give His teaching in the synagogue right out that window.

What can we take from Matthew's view of Capernaum?
This is a place of discipleship and faith.  This is a place of satisfaction and indifference.

Its easy to get comfortable, satisfied with what we've received, no longer following Jesus, or open to receiving the graces at the next step of faith, but camping out, wanting the same thing we already received, no longer believing.

But this is also a place of faith.  Why did Matthew follow Jesus?  How was he able to get up and change his life forever at a moments notice?  Somewhere along the line he was convinced of Jesus' love for him.  Following, leaving all else behind was an act of faith in Jesus Christ worth any sacrifice.

Today is our last day here in Galilee, what will this place be for us?  Is it be a place of satisfaction and indifference, checking something off our list of things to see, stocking up our bags with graces like those in today's gospel who were fed but walked away when asked to believe, who just wanted Jesus' works, His graces?

Or, is it a place of faith and discipleship, where we are convinced of Jesus' love for us and we are ready to offer our fiat to Him, an act of Faith in the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ who we encountered here.  Today, this is the place to ask ourselves, am I convinced of Jesus' love for me?

Intentions - In this place of faith I offer intentions, that all might be convinced of your love for them and choose to follow You.  In the place where men lowered their friend to Jesus, and upon seeing their faith Jesus forgave the man his sins, I offered prayers, lowering each one down to You, with all my Hope and Faith that You will do something in/for them. 

Sitting by the Lake in Capernaum - 
quiet, sunny and still.  Perhaps I'm sitting right near where Matthew worked and was called by you.  Lord, do in me whatever You will, crush my pride, help me to see aright.  Finished reading through Matthew 18, when Jesus starts heading to Jerusalem, finishing His time in Galilee.  It is interesting to gain a perspective of Matthew as a whole.  It seems like he is leading people toward making an act of Faith.  Jesus' miracles, teaching, sets His disciples apart, the way we can show our love for God, and then following Him.  Now He is on His way to Jerusalem, and I will follow by reading that as we go to Jerusalem tomorrow.  

I also started reading Mark to get a look at things from Peter's eyes (Lebsock).  All You ask for is Faith.  Everywhere You go You are looking for Faith and You find people looking for signs, harness of heart, non-understanding.  O Jesus we believe, help our unbelief.  We accept You, or desire to.  We want to amaze You with our faith.

Mount of Beatitudes - 
rosary walk to the mount to say goodbye.  "Listen to Him" "Pondered all these things in her heart" "Accept" "Do you still not believe?" are the phrases that linger in my heart after these days in Galilee.  Teach me how to be Your priest.  "Listen to My words and act on them".  Re-read the sermon on the mount - for those who would follow You.

Primacy of Peter - 
How was Peter so confidently able to say "Lord, You know that I love You"?  Re-read John 21.  I don't want to lead a lukewarm life.  Restore me in love as you did Peter.  I imagined Peter standing on the shore dripping wet, naked, looking at Jesus face to face, silent.  Love does crazy things.  Each day is a step of Faith, not desiring the old but giving with faith, trustingly, to what is next.  Love is acceptance.

Loaves and Fishes - 
To love to be interrupted, to love to be unknown.  To give when you've gone to rest yourself.  To let your heart be open to another.  To be thankful.  The sun has set, the temperature drops, remembering Fr. Jeremias:  "Do not let Christ's coming near to you fade; He is always coming near to us".

Adoration - 
Finished reading the instruction to the liturgy of the hours.  Thank you for bringing me here.

Fr. Hurley - Jesus set His face toward Jerusalem (Luke).  Strong words.  Tomorrow is a day of travel, but still of prayer.
(no pics today, I'm lazy.  I'll probably be lazy tomorrow too :)

No comments: