Monday, January 14, 2013

Pilgrimage to the Holy Land - day 1

[For all those who would like to "come with me" on my priestly pilgrimage to the places where Jesus lived and died here are a few notes and a pic or two.  I hope this might be a blessing for you and that my meager reflections might spur a thought or a prayer for you.  Forgive the scattered and incoherent thoughts, its my best attempt to share my experince with you, but its only a peek.]

22 December 2012
Last night we had a prayer vigil to help us prepare to not just go on a trip, but to get in the mindset of pilgrimage - leaving our everyday life behind in order to walk with Jesus, to go where He wants to lead us, to discover Him on the journey.  Deacon Mark Bentz and I will be roommates and I just finished "Silence" by Shusaku Endo, a historical fiction on the difficulty between practicing faith in a non-Christian culture.  His reflects on how all believers act like Judas, we all betray.  This was a striking book as it made me reflect on my own weaknesses and pride in my relationship with Jesus.

It would have been Grandpa Frey's birthday today and I offered Mass for him and Grandma Frey today.

I need less than I want and I take more than I need.  Taking Mary Magdelene as my model of trusting Jesus, not being afraid to "go deep" (Luke 5) however Jesus wants.  I prayed for all the intentions in the airport as we were waiting to leave.  Just like Mary and Joseph, along with the whole world were in transit at this time for the census, so many are in transit back home.  Waiting and travelling, we all meet on the way.  Slow down, take it all in.

I enjoyed watching the awe of the men as they experienced arriving in the Holy Land for the first time.  On the bus from Tel Aviv to Galilee I began reading "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand about a man in WWII whose plane went down in the Pacific Theater.  I will give it up for a week to better focus on being where I am at.  Its dusk when we arrive, passing Mt. Tabor and praying evening prayer at sunset.  Mass, dinner, and now evening reflection.

Fr. Hurley - imitate Mary's total dependence on God.  Your guidebook here is the Bible.  In our lives we get so busy that oftentimes the Lord's voice, His call to you gets muddled.  How has the Lord's call for you been muddled?  God has called you here for a reason, He has something to show you, something to give you: pay attention, be ready to receive it.

1 comment:

Parmley Clan said...

I am enjoying reading your comments Father Matt. I too have heard about the book Unbroken and have heard it is an amazing book. I feel so touched by your journey. Your cousin, Tanya