Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pilgrimage to the Holy Land - day 2

23 December 2012

Up at 5am and sitting on the Sea of Galilee, very dark and cool.  As light creeps into the sky I can see more and more.  What was always there I can now distinguish.  Light changes things; well, I guess it doesn't change things so much as it does me, my perception of reality.  A fitting lesson as we prepare for the Light of Christ to come into the world.  What will I notice in His light?  my mind is racing, all the things I can do in this place, Scriptures to read, where to go, homilies to prepare...slow down.  I am in Galilee.  I am a priest. Act of Faith, Hope, and Love.  Urge to do many things - don't miss this, don't rush.

Primacy of Peter - John 21:1-19
Mass.  The sacristan rushed us. Maybe we were late, maybe not, but it affected how we prayed.  I let him work me up and distract me at Mass, thinking about his parameters - what a difference we make for each other by our welcome.  Jesus revealed Himself here.  The disciples realized it was the Lord here. Peter confesses his love here.  Jesus says follow Me.  A thought strikes me:  how was Peter so confidently able to say "You know I love You" when he knew he denied Jesus so recently and he's just gone back to his old life of fishing?

I prayed for intentions here today that we might trust the Lord, be convinced of His love. Love needs to be lived.  Don't let us doubt You, even if we have great cause to doubt ourselves.

Capernaum - John 6
In the synagogue, the place where Jesus gave the bread of life discourse.  The place means something.  You wanted to show us the real, but we weren't ready to accept it.  Matthew was from this town.  Orthodox church is here, near the centurion's house (Matthew 8:5-13).  

Mount of Beatitudes/Eremos Cave - 
Read the Sermon on the Mount together (Matthew 5-7).  I stayed and continued to read Matthew 1-9, letting him be my guide to following Jesus.  This is where Jesus taught His disciples.  Lord, what do you want to teach me up here?  How do I respond to Your teaching?

So much to take in, I can't process anything.  Need to soak in more, not so much doing.  Reading "Instruction for the Liturgy of the Hours".

Fr. Hurley - God sees so much more in our lives than we do.

Adoration at Primacy of Peter - 
Jesus appeared where Jesus appeared.  Is this not crazy?  So awesome.

No comments: