Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas


Merry Christmas! i just got back from midnight Mass with the Pope, the best part was the focus on slowing down and stopping ourselves to meditate on the silence in the heart of the night where Christ is born. we waited in the piazza from about 8pm to get in, it was a calm and very still night, cool but not cold. a slight haze hung in the air until the moon peeked out over the center of the square and cleared the clouds and mists away. it was a beautiful Mass, i wish i could enter into it more deeply again.

tomorrow is the Pope's address "to the city and to the world" (Urbi et Orbi) at noon. i'll go to that, then on the 26th to Krakow. i will pray for you all there, keep the 7 of us in your prayers. i'll be back after the new year to post again and share any insights the Lord offers to me. Merry Christmas!

rome notes:
if you want to come to Christmas Mass with the Pope, thats great, just make sure you get a ticket, no one gets in without a ticket.

pictures:
1- the nativity scene in St. Peter's Square (most nativity scenes are based off of Luke's Gospel, but this year the Pope specifically asked to go off the Matthew account to focus on St. Joseph, so the scene is of St. Joseph's workshop)
2- the nativity scene
3- a picture from my seat before Mass
4- a littl nac holiday cheer

2 comments:

Anderson said...

Hey Chones, is that a gun and a beer in Sponge Bob's lap?!
Tell me, is the architecture of St. Peters stunning and awe inspiring in and of itself? The pillars going up around the alter strike me when I look at your pictures. Also, does the Pope say Mass different? You know, more passionately? Finally, you're gonna need tickets (I love it Chones) Looking forward to more Blog.
PAX, Jesse

Hudson's said...

Matt,

Paul and I keep you in our prayers all the time. It sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas Mass. I don't know how I would pay attention with all the architecture and art around me. The history in that church is astounding.

We wanted you to know that we are expecting a new arrival in our family around the end of July. If you could keep our new baby in your prayers, it would be nice.

It seems to be a constant struggle to find what God wants us to do with our lives. For us it seems just as we have a general direction, He puts another blessing in our lives, like the baby. It is almost scary because I know He must expect a lot for all He has given us, and I only hope I am returning what He desires of me.

Hope all is well with you. It sounds like you have some amazing trips coming up that I wish we could do. Paul has never been to Rome and we would like to go soon to see all the saints and churches. How was it in Krakow?

Lots of prayers and good thoughts during your finals,
the Hudson family