Sunday, September 16, 2007

swiss guard

yesterday, the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, i got to take some time to pray in front of the Pieta, the tomb of St. Peter, and the tomb of St. Paul-it was a blessed morning. what struck me was how surrendered to God all the Saints were. although they were definately imperfect and made mistakes all along the way, when it came down to it there whole heart was for God. they would not choose anything over Him, not their preferences, not the approval of others, not even their own life, it was all for Him. i felt a little of my smallness as i prayed near St. Paul's tomb.

2 weeks ago we got to visit the swiss guard barracks- a rarity. my friend Jeff gave me his pictures so i can share them with you. the reason that the swiss hold this post is
because back in the day the pope had no protection as the barbarians were invading
Rome, so he hired some mercinaries from switzerland. in the attack, around 147 of the around 200 swiss soldiers gave their lives to protect the pope as he fled from the Vatican to the Castel Sant' Angelo. from that time on they have been the pope's faithful defenders.

pictures:
1 - the pope's bedroom window (top floor, second from right)
the rest - past pope defending supplies and courtyard of the barracks

1 comment:

J-dog said...

Hey there brother,

Thanks for the pictures of the Swiss Guard barracks. I always wanted to join them, but then I found out that you had to be a Swiss citizen. I thought that maybe since my watch is a Swiss army... But nope. Oh well.