Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam!

13 March 2013

Annuntio vobis gaudium magnum;
habemus Papam:
Eminentissimum ac Reverendissimum Dominum,
Dominum Georgium Marium
Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae Cardinalem Bergoglio
qui sibi nomen imposuit Franciscum


You know the news and all the info is out there, here's your take from the ground floor...

By 6:40pm I was in a packed St. Peter's square with Jack Schraeder from MA. Last night I talked while we waited for smoke, tonight I felt impelled to pray so I prayed the Liturgy of the Hours as I am wont to do. Praying the prayer of the Church in St. Peters square as the cardinals were voting was striking to me. I finished praying at 7:02pm. I had no feeling in my gut of what tonight might hold. 7:05pm Smoke popped: white. Bells. Habemus Papam! (we have a Pope!)

The crowed rushed forward. Fr. Jacob Strand, Dan Westerman, Jack and I found ourselves together 20 yards from the front, just to the side of center when the rush slowed. So many people, so many hugs and yelling habemus Papam, complete strangers were now close friends. 1 Peter 1:8 flood my mind: "Although you have not seen him you love him; even though you do not see him now yet believe in him, you rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy." We had not yet seen the Pope, but we had one, and we loved him.

It was cool and sprinkling, dark with bright lights everywhere. The crowd overflowed the square and down via conciliazione. Everyone was joyful, electric Mostly young people filled the square. 80% of the people I saw tonight looked to be younger than 40. We did not expect anything to happen tonight, here we were, it was epic. 8:15pm, the designated Cardinal announced the quote above, then went back in. The crowd was stunned. A fem minutes later out walked His Holiness Pope Francis. He stood. We cheered: "viva il papa", "Fran-ces-co, Fran-ces-co". He remained silent and so did we. When he spoke his humility stirred us: "we must lead the way in charity...let us first pray for Benedict XVI...before I give you my blessing, I ask you to give me yours..." As he bowed low to receive our blessing the crowd was silent. It was an extremely powerful moment. My heart was moved as I offered my poor prayers for him. He then humbly stood and gave us his blessing and indulgence. Wow.

Our jaws were dropped most of the night. Fr. Jacob, Dan, and I prayed a Memorare for the Pope. We went back to the college just in time to start our community offering for the new Pope: Adoration. The first thing Pope Francis asked of us was to pray for him, so we offered our best prayers. The Blessed Sacrament was exposed to O Salutaris hostia. The Gospel "You are Peter..." was proclaimed. Voices were vigorous and full as we prayed together the Church's great hymn of praise: the Te Deum. The lyrics to O God beyond all praising were my prayer. After a while of silent prayer we chanted Tantum Ergo and Msgr. Checchio gave us benediction.

Pope Francis - whether from that humble, poor man who God called to "build My Church" or from that great missionary who taught and baptized millions in the Faith - is leading us in the New Evangelization. Habemus Papam.

Wow.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Thot of you as I watched from my living room. How exciting and holy that must have been for everyone. Keep all of us in your prayers. Chris Bellinger Williamson