Sunday, March 17, 2013

First Angelus

17 March 2013

Cardinal George celebrated Mass for us today at the college - man, what a great priest, leader, and preacher!  My favorite line from his homily was "They got all the facts right, but the story was all wrong".  He spoke about the conclave and what was actually most important vs what was reported as important.  Freedom to act was the key.

After brunch we all headed down to St. Peter's square to hear Pope Francis' first Angelus message.  It took a half hour just to get into the square, glad I left early!  We were jammed so tight together I couldn't even lift my arms - I'm not a fan of being pressed up against everyone around me from every side.  Finally we squirted out into the square where there was more space...for a while.  There were crowds of people pouring down every street and they closed the square it was so full.  Pope Francis came to the window and the crowds exploded.  He greeted us just like he did the night of his election:  a very formal "Dear Brothers and Sisters" followed by an informal and joyfully "Good Morning!"  We all laughed.  He spoke mostly without a text and only in italian, but 3 times he repeated the message he didn't want us to forget:  "We grow tired of asking God for forgiveness, but He never gets tired of forgiving us!"  His mercy is so great.  Its worth reading in full.

Cardinal George was right, freedom is key.  Thanks be to God Pope Francis is showing every sign that he is free to act as Pope, free to follow the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, free to lead each of us away from sin and towards Christ.  As much as I dislike the craziness of crowds, coming and listening, learning and praying, and receiving Pope Francis' blessing was definitely worth it.

I will try and post at least once more this week, but I probably won't post much for a while - I leave on friday for my canonical retreat for the 2013 year in Lourdes and Ars.  Please pray for me.  If you would like me to keep you in my prayers in a particular way, please send me a note to let me know so I can write it down in my journal.  May you be free today to not be tired of going to God for what you need from Him most!

Angelus Domini nuntiavit Mariae...

No comments: